Saturday, March 24, 2012

84/366 - In the garden

The past week has been full of sunshine, so I've been spending some time in the garden. I filled up the bird feeders about a week ago, and noticed that only one of them was being used, which was odd, since usually it was the other one that the birds preferred for some reason. Anyway, I discovered why the seed was disappearing at a great rate:



Looks like I've been feeding the wood pigeons!

I've sorted out the containers at the front of the house, stirring up the soil (after having removed the old pansies) to plant some new plants. Anyway, I discovered some peanuts! Turns out that potting soil has crushed peanuts in it and I guess they've grown!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, two suprising discoveries in one place.

    Neat picutures, heliona.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanuts!! That is a really cool surprise! Do you have any birds there that like peanuts? The blue jays here go nuts (ahahaha) for them. :D

    My bird feeder looks very much like yours. :) Do you get orioles or what birds do you have that like oranges?

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peanuts weren't edible - I opened them up and they were a bit rotten. The tits here (blue tits and great tits are around here) like peanuts, although all of the birds around here seem to prefer the seeds, so I've given up putting out peanuts. (Last year I spotted a woodpecker eating the peanuts, but I've not seen it since.)

    I was wondering what oranges you were talking about, Dawn, when I realised you meant the coconut halves. :D The things that look like oranges are actually coconut halves with fat and seeds in them. Currently the starlings are loving them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah.. so the coconut shell halves hold suet. They sort of look like dried up orange halves. We put out oranges when the orioles come through here on their way up north. The grosbeaks like them too.

    We get a lot of woodpeckers.. especially when they come for the suet, as we live in a partially wooded/country area. But the blue jays.. if they hear peanuts being thrown out on the deck.. they fly in for them right away. It's too bad your peanuts were no good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an odd thing to have in potting soil, but how cool that you got peanuts from it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monika, apparently it's not. There are allergy websites that point out that crushed peanuts are common in potting soil (because obviously people with severe peanut allergies have to be aware) so I guess mine just grew into peanuts?

      Delete