Thursday, February 9, 2012

40/366 Brrrrrr!


Frosty sunset at my sweetie's last weekend.
We've been having very cold temperatures for a good week now, and no sign of the cold going away. And this is still one of the mildest parts of the country, others are twice as cold (-10/-12 °C here in the morning, record in a few places was -28 a few days ago). Still, not amused about having to wear five layers when I leave the house. Maybe I should invest in some arctic-proof clothes - I do wonder what sort of stuff people in Canada, for instance, wear - I know that wool and wool-type materials are not enough.
Has its own beauty, though. :)

3 comments:

  1. Cold but beautiful.

    Great shot, Hobby.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sunset Monika.

    It is common for us to have temperatures like you are having, although this winter has been mild. -28C (which I think is about -16/17F is pretty cold however. We only get that occasionally. Wool is good, but so is down.. and layers. Something that will wick moisture away from the skin should be the first layer Thermax or Thinsulate (not cotton). Wool or down is good for the second or insulating layer and the outer layer should be wind/water resistant. And of course, hat, gloves/mittens, scarves, boots..

    Another option is to cozy up with a loved one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! :D

    Dawn, yep, I do the layers - five of them are needed at - 10°C, for me, which is where it gets a bit silly, I think. :D But I don't have clothes with down or high-tech insulation - might have to get them one of these winters. :D

    But for now, the worst is over, with temps hovering a bit above freezing point again. :D

    ReplyDelete