Thursday, April 21, 2011

111/365 Columbine



I'm at my parents' for the Easter holidays. The weather is wonderful - sunny and warm - and the garden has changed so much since I was last here four weeks ago - all the trees are green, and the foliage seems to change the whole shape and layout.
Lots of flowers and blossoms, too - it wasn't easy to decide which one to post. I finally decided on the columbine. The name is derived from "columba" - Latin for "dove", because of the shape of the petals; and I think that in this photo you can see very nicely how the flower looks like a group of doves sitting together and having a chat. :D

5 comments:

  1. Hobby, I never knew about the resemblance to the dove, but now I see it. Lovely photo. :D Enjoy your family for the holiday.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely picture of the flower hon!! I too see the birds sitting in a group. Love the color too!!! Beautiful!!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo. :) Yours is completely different to mine, which I guess is a wonderful thing about columbine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color of the flower.
    Thanks for the explanation of the name, too.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's why it's called a columbine! Good to know.

    ReplyDelete