Monday, April 4, 2011

94/365: Homework



This is my final project for my Papyrology class; the piece of papyrus on the table is about 2250 years old if my dating (largely based on handwriting style and some content) is correct. It contains two letters (I think?) in Ancient Greek, the last part of the first letter and the first part of the second. My final project involves reading the text (hence the magnifying glass) and making a transcription, as well as a translation if possible. This text is pretty fragmentary, so a translation's going to be rather hard--there are a lot of names and some references to a letter (presumably this letter, but who knows?) but not a whole lot else.

It's so old! And tangible! PAPYROLOGY IS AWESOME.

Ann Arbor, MI

~Sil

5 comments:

  1. Never was much on book learning.
    I couldn't wait to get out of high school and I've never looked back.
    It's good you're continuing your education and I hope that it gives you a good living afterwards.

    An interesting picture.
    I like the composition.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sil. I think this is fascinating - you might need a new set of eyeballs at the end of this class work, but to have something that ancient just under your nose is very cool.

    How many of us will get that up close and personal with a bit of history.

    Good luck on the transcription.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally cool to get to see something like this so close and personally. I love the picture!!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...and I was so excited when I got to handle letters from the 1790's at the Caird Library in Greenwich, but you have me beat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is really exciting! Looks like you picked a great course. :D

    ReplyDelete