Tuesday, May 10, 2011

130/365 - Flowers for Mom


My mom's grave.  For various reasons, this past Sunday was the first Mother's Day since my mom died that I was able to do something tangible for her memory.  So, I planted the red begonias on the sides.  The tulips in the middle were something my dad planted a few weeks ago.  The design on the stone is custom, done by an artist my dad knows from his job.  On the lower right are poinsettias and some mistletoe, representing her love of the Christmas season (it was often said by visitors in December that Christmas had "exploded" all over the house).  On the upper right is a kind of Hawaiian flower (whose name escapes me at the moment), where she and my dad had begun making a habit of vacationing on every fifth wedding anniversary.  And in the lower left are clovers, since she had recently acquired a love of Ireland after winning a trip there (at my insistence one of them has four leaves, but it's covered up by the one of the tulips in this picture).  I did edit out most of her name and one or two other things for privacy.

I'm not trying to get anyone down, here.  I think the flowers are appropriate as representatives of the sheer variety and beauty of life, something my mom taught be a lot about when I was growing up, even if I didn't realize it at the time.

-Krawler

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your mother hon!! Thank you for sharing that and how appropriate for Mother's Day week. :D

    She was greatly loved as is apparent in the love that went into her memorial gravestone tribute.

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  2. krawler, that is lovely. The flowers are beautiful as well as the stone artwork. Mothers Day is the appropriate day to remember your mother with love.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely tribute, and a great choice for today's photo! Thanks for explaining about the editing - I'd been wondering why there was only the first name etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a simple beauty in the stone, krawler.
    All can tell she was greatly loved.

    A lovely picture.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete