Thursday, November 10, 2011

314/365 St Martin's Day goodie

Tomorrow is St Martin's Day, a major day for kids where I live. St Martin is remembered for is his sharing his cloak with a beggar. The children get to walk with little lanterns, following St Martin on his horse, have a bonfire, and then visit the neighbours and local shopkeepers and sing songs about St Martin, which serve as hints to remind the neighbours that sharing is good for your soul - and they can then practice their generosity right away by giving the children sweets. :D

I had hoped to give you a photo of the parade of our local kindergarten, but it was too dark, all my pics are very blurry.

So instead, here's a photo of a typical St Martin's Day goodie, which you can get in bakeries here from October to mid-November.


I traditionally treat myself to this goodie a few times each season. :D

Nowadays, he often comes without the pipe, when someone overprotective deems it an invitation to smoke, but for me it's all wrong when there's no pipe, so I only buy them with one. :D
Also, the pipes are supposed to be functional, that is, if you're lucky they are really hollow (occasionally, though, the tiny pipe is blocked by some excess of clay) - you can use them for soap bubbles, for example. :D

2 comments:

  1. What a neat tradition.
    I used to love bubble pipes when I was a kid.

    Neat picture and history.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hobby for the great information about this holiday.

    The treat looks delicious and the bubble pipe is too cool for school!!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete