Saturday, August 6, 2011

218/365 - 3rd highest mountain in England

We went to the Lake District for a few days this week. We managed to climb Helvellyn via Striding Edge (I kept calling it Strider's Edge!) and then back down via Swirral Edge. Here's a photo from Birkhouse Moor, which you have to climb before getting to the main climb.



In this photo, Striding Edge is the sharp ridge on the left, Helvellyn is the plateau in the middle, Swirral Edge is on the right-hand side, and the triangle-shaped mountain on the right is Catstycam, which I had wanted to climb just because it has a cool name, but we were exhausted after climbing back down Swirral Edge, so we didn't. :D

We both ache rather a lot now, but I'm glad we did it. The view from the top was amazing (as it was on the way up) and I can now say that I've done it. :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a picture and what a hike!!! I bet it was such fun though tiring to do this. The picture is lovely. Too bad our depth perception is probably off because there is nothing to show us the actual size of the trail or hike area. I love how everything is so green!!

    Strider's Edge!! That is priceless!!! :D

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vana, I know what you mean. It's very difficult to get anything into perspective because everything is so massive around there! I do have some other photos (some of which have people in them) in my Flickr set: Lake District

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful...
    Love all the green.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you that you did it, heliona!! The view is striking and beautiful. Looks like the day was perfect for hiking!!!

    Thanks,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete