Saturday, September 3, 2011

246/365 - Lime kiln

Today we went to a local, relatively unknown, landmark: Hoffman's Kiln. It's a lime kiln, and is really the only almost complete kiln left in the UK, I believe.

These are a few photos taken whilst there. I'm sorry about the quality, particularly of the one in the dark, but I'd forgotten to take my camera, so these were taken on my phone.


This is the interior of the kiln (not where things were heated, but rather where the workers were).


This is a shaft where the contents of the kiln were shovelled into carriages that were on a railway next to the kiln.


On top of the kiln, standing on the collapsed chimney. The chimney is in the middle of the kiln, so this is only half of the kiln.

4 comments:

  1. These are great!
    Good job, heliona!

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool trip to make and see the kiln.

    Very unique and awesome!! Thanks heliona.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tunnel views make me think of Alice In Wonderland. Not sure why. Cool shots none the less.

    ReplyDelete