Tuesday, September 13, 2011

256/365 Water water everywhere…

Last week southcentral PA had some flooding that rivaled the flood caused by hurricane Agnes back in 1972.  The only good part of it was that only 5 counties were affected, rather than the entire northeast US.
You may remember the minor flooding I posted about back in March. 
It was a photo of the Swatara Creek bridge that I cross on the days I ride my bike to work.  It is rather calm and serene compared to the current view.  I couldn’t get near to take a photo during the flooding, but this is the aftermath:

There is about 5 inches of very soft mud all over the intersection, and a roof and a large tree trunk barricades the bridge.  You can see where the high water mark is on the building to the left – about 2/3 up.   Sadly, the plastic duck is gone, as well as the wooden steps. 
This next photo was taken two days earlier, about a mile downstream:







The lower part of the corn field is completely covered in water.  Behind the tree line are some railroad tracks, then another tree line, and then the ‘usual’ creek bed.                                

I DID see a Monarch butterfly in the yard yesterday, but of course I didn’t have my camera with me at the time. *sigh*
So you get flood pics instead.  :P
-posted by Tooks in Southcentral PA

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness Tooks. I hope that this will get back to normal soon enough. So much damage from all the rain and the hurricane that swept by.

    :( Great photos though.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photos...
    Not the devastation in them, though.
    Hope it gets back to normal soon.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete