Thursday, September 29, 2011

272/365 SPARNFARKLE!

 Sparnfarkle is German for 'pig roast'. This area is heavily settled by people of German ancestry, so some of the old words and traditions have stuck.  I did not make it to the Sparnfarkle in time to see the pig on the spit, but I did get there in time to photograph it as it was just removed from the spit. This particular pig was stuffed with chickens that were stuffed with onions, but the pig is often stuffed with bratwurst, a German sausage.  The Sparnfarkle was a get-together with some of my husbands co-workers & their families. I don't know if you can tell by this photo, but the pig was huge.

This is what a typical roaster/spit looks like.
Some of the kids in a huddle with the dog.
I took this photo by the bonfire later in the evening. The little girl moved as I took her photo resulting in a double exposure. I thought it made for an interesting effect.
Dawn/RoseMorninStar

3 comments:

  1. This looks like amazing fun!! :D And I am still upset that no one wanted the cracklin'!! The double exposure of the girl is amazing! I love it. :D

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like great fun!!!!

    But what a word!! It is like someone made up a word instead of it sounding German or anything. I love sitting by the campfires at night with great folks and good eats!!!

    The pig looks absolutely delicious!!!!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very hobbity - I hope you all stuffed yourselves! :D
    Not a made-up word at all. :D The German word is "Spanferkel". I guess the American spelling is auditory. :) A 'Ferkel' is a piglet. I had to look up the origin of 'Span' myself (as its normal meaning didn't seem to make sense here) and found that it's from an old German word for 'sucking' - so it means a 'suckling pig'. :D

    The double exposure is cool, too. :D

    ReplyDelete