Saturday, September 17, 2011

260/365 - Sheepdog Trials!!

I love sheepdogs (which here in the UK essentially refers to Border Collies) and have been fascinated by sheepdog trialling ever since I religiously read Shadow the Sheepdog by Enid Blyton many, many years ago.

We used to have a television show called "One Man and His Dog" that regularly showed sheepdog trials from around the UK - generally the Home Countries competing against each other, but it was cancelled a few years ago.

My mum in particular has always loved Border Collies and where they live now a lot of trialling goes on (in fact, they've made an acquaintance of the assistant harbour master where they keep the boat who also breeds (and trials) working sheepdogs. Mum's hoping for a puppy at some point).

Anyway, the International Sheepdog Trials World Cup is happening this weekend in Cumbria and I've managed to catch some on the television.

Here's an English competitor, Tom Lawrenson (the dog's called Clyde) just convincing the sheep to go into the pen. :)


And here's Clyde, just itching to set off on what is known at the "out run".

2 comments:

  1. Not a dog lover m'self,but that is great looking dog. I love to watch them do their work.
    Not bad for pics off the tv.
    In fact, the ones I have planned for tomorrow are off the tv,too! :D

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these sheep herding dogs. I have also watched many trials on the tube in the past. What fun. :D

    Jules

    ReplyDelete