Tuesday, October 18, 2011

291/365 - Occupy Milwaukee








Went out to the Occupy Wall Street day on October 15.  Got a bunch of pictures, but these are my favorites.  I've never actually been to a protest, as my natural cynicism leads me to doubt the notion of my appearance on the street to be a significant factor at these sorts of things.  But I find I wish I had gone to the pro-union protests in Madison earlier this year, just to be a part of the crowd, and I thought this would make up for it.  While there were the expected anti-Scott Walker, pro-union, anti-corporate greed participants, there was actually a wider range of viewpoints represented than I would have thought, including Ron Paul libertarians and Guy Fawkes-mask wearing anarchists wielding signs about the fluoride conspiracy.  The protest itself was alright, but I just can't get over the simple fact that all the marching and chanting in the world won't make a difference if the business tycoons and politicians don't want it to.  These protests seek immediate action, but change only comes slowly if at all in this country: with luck at the pace of the election cycles; without, well...

-Krawler

3 comments:

  1. You got involved, regardless of the impact or not. I toyed with the idea of going to Occupy Portland this weekend, but instead did some packing. Our local news is covering it pretty well, so I know what is going on.

    Good on ya for getting out there among them. "I refuse to believe that Corporations are people until Texas executes one of them"...Priceless.

    :D

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seattle has the same thing. They are occupying Westlake Park in the middle of town. They can't camp there and after about a week of the 'man' telling them they will be arrested if they don't move out at night, they finally started to arrest people.

    Good shots, krawler.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!
    Even if there's no immediate result, it's good to speak up and stand by your opinions. As the ancient Romans said: silence can be taken for agreeing. :)
    And, who knows - maybe in the long run it will have an effect. :)

    ReplyDelete