Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/365 from Rodia

1/365: Happy New Year!
1/365: Happy New Year!, originally uploaded by Magic Madzik.
January 1st

So much sparkle! Happy New Year!

The photo shows where I celebrated the arrival of 2011.

Lodz is a flat city. Very flat. Its highest point is a semi-artificial mound piled in 1969 to create a small (K-15) ski-jumping slope. No bleachers or judge tower were ever built, and the slope fell into ruin in the eighties. I hear some resourceful young volunteers fixed it up just this last year. Interesting to note that people had already been ski jumping from the natural portion of the mound in the 1930s.

Anyway, the mound itself stands 230 m above sea level and is called Rudzka Góra, which means 'Mountain of Ore', as it lies in an area of town where bog iron used to be extracted. There's an artificial bobsleigh track that runs up the top (awesome fun), and when half the town showed up to watch the fireworks they all clambered up by holding on to the lift cable.

You can see part of the track in the photo, behind the people. On an ordinary day you're not supposed to climb over the fence and get that close to the track and the equipment, but New Year's Eve is special. You're probably not supposed to launch fireworks haphazardly in a crowd, either, but that's what people did. I did not get hit, but it was close. Fireworks are stupid, but they're a beautiful kind of stupid. From the Rudzka Góra, I saw them go off all over town. I didn't get exactly the shot I wanted, but I got others which were equally good, and next year I know what to do.

No one got hurt, it was loud, it was beautiful, I had the best time. I don't like parties at all, but on New Year's there's an inevitable pressure to do Something, so I am always looking for a good place to be that doesn't involve drinking and dancing. Especially since I'm never invited anywhere that WOULD involve it!

5 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed your photos.

    Looks a bit dangerous out there, but fun as well.

    Loved the way you caught the action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rookie mistake...

    I should have put my username down on the above comment.

    Just chalk it up to Calma being Calma.

    Later..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rodia! What a lovely beginning to our photo project! I love the journaling that went along with your post.. just perfect! I hope I can find something just as awesome to post when my day comes..

    Dawn/RoseMorninStar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would pay big money to see you dance Ro!! :P

    Love the photo, you always take such wonderful piccies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the light and colours of the rockets got captured! :D

    If you keep a bit of distance to the next rocket going off it should be safe. The greatest danger of people firing rockets is if they use badly made cheapo stuff from China that goes off in your hand more often than in the sky. :)

    ReplyDelete