Thursday, January 27, 2011

27/365 Public Bookcase


I'd heard of these 'public bookcases' being placed in city and town centres, but this is the first I've actually seen. It's in a town right next to Cologne where I currently teach an evening class - which is why I only get to see it in the dark at the moment. ;)

I love the idea of a 'public bookcase'. You can take books out or put books in, you can return the ones you've taken out or keep them - no memberships, no loan periods, no questions.
There are some volunteer patrons, I believe, who manage the general upkeep and such, but otherwise it's just there and open for everyone.

It looks curiously alien and a little surreal, I think. :D

Also, the fact that this concept actually works - that, as a rule, these bookcases don't get vandalised or just plundered entirely - helps restoring at least some little faith in humanity, I think. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hobby what a lovely idea. I can't imagine that it would work here, like you said, I think it would be vandalized. But I would LIKE to think that it is such a lovely idea, that people would respect it.

    Thanks,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so cool to have that kind of thing around. I agree with Rwhen that here it just would be vandalized unfortunately. But the idea is GREAT!!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, someone would definitely tag that before the first hour had passed. It's such a sad thing to say about the country, but unfortunately, it's true....

    But the idea is marvelous. Way to go Germany!
    Makes me proud of my heritage.

    I think this is a neat picture even if it was taken at night.

    Cslms

    ReplyDelete