Monday, January 31, 2011

31/365: The Castle on the Hill


(Full view for a crisper image)

Okay, so it's not actually a castle, but it's the closest I can come here in Michigan. This is my church, St. Thomas the Apostle, from the back--it seems to only be sunny here on Sundays lately, so I managed to get a nice bright picture of it on my way to church. If I can read Roman numerals properly (no guarantees!), it was built in 1897--lots of stone and stained glass windows and a bell tower that still works! The inside is basilica-style, with marble columns and a really ornate tabernacle and altar area. Perhaps I'll post a picture of the interior some time, too (I've got a pretty good view from the choir loft).

My parish at home is comparatively modern in style, so when I got to AA I was really excited that my new church looked like this. :)

Location: St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church, Ann Arbor, Michigan

~Sil

4 comments:

  1. Sil, this is a beauty of a church. I love the lines and the bell tower. Looks very European to me. Thanks.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until I read your discription, I thought it was a castle. :)
    But it's still cool.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome church hon!!! I love the look of it, very medieval in styling!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! Just the kind of church I'd want to get married in, even though I'm not Catholic. I just love the setting for a Celtic themed wedding.

    ReplyDelete