Friday, January 21, 2011

21/365 Arts of Okinawa

(Filling in for *Alassë* today)
Our daughter is studying Japanese and she may have the opportunity to travel to Japan on an internship this summer. With that in mind my mother asked an old classmate who married a woman from Okinawa if we might watch their weekly dance practice. These women do have public performances, but they did not have a show while we were in Tucson.  They were very gracious in allowing us to watch and they talked with us about many things, including the difference between Japanese and Okinawan cultures. It was a fascinating afternoon.
This practice took place on the military base and we were there when Air force One flew in with President Obama for the Memorial. We didn't see any of that, however.

I had difficulty choosing one photo.. so I have also placed one in the 'runner-up' section.
~Dawn/RoseMorninStar

2 comments:

  1. Coooool! I'm an Asian culture nut (for which I blame anime :D) but have never been to an Asian country or, sadly, even seen something like this here in the US. Maybe I should start looking around--there's gotta be something on campus somewhere!

    Also, parasols!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also love to have seen this, I bet it was graceful and beautiful.

    Sil I hope you can find something in your area.

    Great piccie.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete