Sunday, January 30, 2011

29/365: Gratka the horse

Gratka

I started learning how to ride horses this year. This one's called Gratka, which is a derivation of the word 'gratis' (latin 'gratiis' meaning 'out of kindness'). 'Gratis' nowadays means 'free of charge'. In Polish, 'gratka' will be the word you use to describe something which was a really great opportunity, something you just had to grab as soon as you saw it because it was such a good deal. 'Ale gratka!' you might exclaim, when the universe gives you a present and asks for no extra charge. What luck!

Gratka is a nice horse, a bit round, a bit slow, and a bit lazy, but that's all right. I'm a beginner, I need a patient horse who doesn't mind a stupid rider. 


-rodia

9 comments:

  1. Test comment number one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Test comment number four... :)

    Not...

    I have never ridden a horse and I don't think I really want to, but I hope you are having a great time learning.

    Cool looking horse.
    Hope she's giving you good lessons.

    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, I want to give her a hug! This makes me miss riding, too--I hope you're have fun at your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuzzy horse! Like Sil this makes me miss horse-riding. I will hopefully get back into it soon. Have fun, Ro, and always get back on if you fall off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely horsie, Ro Ro!! :D I agree with Sil, ya just wanna give her a big ol' hug.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo. I envy you, Ro. I wanna horse!

    -Tooks

    ReplyDelete