Thursday, January 6, 2011

6/365 Lots of little Wise People at Epiphany Mass in Cologne Cathedral


Today is the feast of Epiphany, in honour of the three Wise Men finding the baby Jesus after following the star.
This is a big day in all Christianity (the 12th day of Christmas, the day of presents in Mediterranean countries and the day of Christmas in the Orthodox church), and in Cologne is especially important as it houses the relics of the Magi. So the mass celebrated by the Archbishop in the Cathedral is one of the big events of the year here.

It is also a custom here that children dressed as the Wise Men go from door to door to spread the good news and to bless the house they enter, collecting donations for church charities.

The children this year did particularly well in singing their songs and saying their verses. Now I'll just hope that I'll be at home when they come round to my door sometime this weekend, as I hope they do. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hobby, I love your picture and the story too. :D We just took down all our Christmas things earlier this week.

    Have a great weekend!!

    (((hugs))) Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do rather love Epiphany, although I'm not a Christian. :) Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete