Saturday, March 5, 2011

64/365 - Collared dove



This is a collared dove that decided to stake-out my bird feeder. It's too big to eat from any of the feeders, so it was waiting until the smaller birds (sparrows in particular) had eaten at the feeder and dropped some seeds on the ground. Clever, although it did completely ignore the pieces of bread that I'd put on the lawn for the doves, pigeons and starlings.

Eventually, it realised that sitting on the top of the bird feeder was scaring away the other birds, so it retired to the fence to wait.

Sorry about the quality of the photo. I had to take through the bedroom window so as not to disturb the bird, and the feeder is at the far end of the garden. (It was taken on Thursday, by the way.)

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand the shooting in the stealth hon. I still think it was a great picture. I have never seen a Collared Dove before. Very cool!!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it's standing guard over your yard. :D

    I have some birds that can't get to the feeder as well. I usually put some on the ground for them so they don't have to wait. Oh, it's away from the feeder, too.

    But I like how the shot is set up. No matter that you had to take it from the house for stealthy reasons...


    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Helen, I love your feeder!! I think it is so cool. And like you, there are some shots that I might be able to get, but would have to do them through a window.

    Scared birds!! Silly birds!!

    Great shot.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete