Friday, February 4, 2011

35/365: Guest poster: Storyteller

Hello! I am Storyteller, and I’m honored to become a guest-poster on TORC 365. And my first contrinution will be a picture of... the Haifa bay!


The beautiful, very neat terraces you see are the upper section of the Bahai temple gardens. The temple itself is the cylindrical building the terraces lead to. It is currently in repairs, hence the gray wrapping around it.
 
The red-roofed houses surrounding the wide street to the left are the famous German Colony. That part of the city was built by the German immigrants from the Temple Society in the 1860-s. They built the Haifa port that the street leads to, and the terraces (which were originally Templar vineyards). Many houses in this area still bear German inscriptions, as can be seen in the second photo.
 
 
 Location: Haifa, Israel

~Storyteller

2 comments:

  1. Story, these pictures are awesome!! I have seen the Bahai temple and grounds in different TV shows, but you got to see them first hand. Beautiful and thanks for including the information on the German Colony. I hope that you will be a guest on other occasions.

    Rwhen/Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ST these are terrific!! I am so glad that you would get such wonderful pics. I will probably never get a chance to get there but I can enjoy it through your eyes and camera eye. Thank you for posting today and sharing this treasure with us. I do hope you will get to post more here again.

    Vana

    ReplyDelete