Wednesday, February 23, 2011

55/365 Chicken Pitchers

Yes, that's what I said, chicken pitchers. Not chicken pictures. ;-)

I've been sick so I haven't been out & about much.. there is plenty of snow, but.. I figure I've kind of done my share of snow photos. SO.. I give you.. the chicken pitcher.

I didn't start out collecting these. In fact, I STILL don't collect these! They're small, they only hold about 3 ounces. Enough for an individual cream for coffee or tea. Or perhaps a serving of maple syrup. 

ANYWAY, I bought one of these years ago because I thought it was a cute little creamer. They are an Italian tradition and there is a story behind them about bringing good luck/warding off evil. One day.. mine fell off the shelf & broke. I really didn't think it meant that much to me.. but I missed the little guy. SO.. I spent about a year looking for another 'chicken pitcher.' I could find larger ones (mostly expensive ones from Italy) but not the creamer size that I wanted. 
Eventually a set of 3 'made in China' ones showed up on E-bay. I bid & won!! And the next day.. a 'real' Italian one was up for bid. It wasn't very expensive.. so I got that one too. (the one on the right)

The real kicker is.. I recently visited my mother in Tucson.. and what did she have in her kitchen?? A REAL CHICKEN PITCHER!! Creamer-size!! FROM ITALY!!  She had no idea what it was, it had been a gift from her boss who had visited Italy. 
She said I could have it.. but I let her keep it.

So.. if you come to visit, I'll serve you cream or maple syrup in a chicken pitcher. ;)


Dawn/RoseMorninStar




6 comments:

  1. I think those are totally adorable!!! :D If I ever see one about, I will pick one up to add to your "not a collection". :D I have seen them before. Very sweet.

    Feel better.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! And what lovely story about your mum. :)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. oOoooo. Don't let Wenchie see those. :D

    ~Tooks....trying to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chick-chick-chick-chick-chicken!

    That's how collections begin.
    You find one then someone finds one for you and so on and so on and so on...

    When I was about 12, my mother brought home a small rootbeer mug I loved it. So she brought home more for me. I now have about 20 of them. Can't find them any more though.

    But those are cute.
    I like the colors of them.

    Calma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely story, Dawn. :D And I think they look really cool. :D
    The pic as a whole has something of a still life - I like it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your chicken pitchers hon. I would be honored to have you serve me syrup or cream from them. :D They are adorable!!

    Vana

    ReplyDelete