Monday, February 7, 2011

38/365: Temple of Hera


So, my computer has a nasty virus and is at the shop being repaired, so I had to pick an old photo for today.

This is the Temple of Hera II (one of several dubious identifications) at Paestum in southern Italy. I studied abroad for a semster in Rome in 2007 and took a ton of photos, but this is one of my favourites (I'm a big temple fan). I think this temple is from around 440BC, but don't quote me on that.

The night before our official visit to the site, a group of us decided to walk down a very dark road in the middle of ruralish Italy to see the temples lit up at night--smart, right? As we were walking, a dog jumped over a fence and joined us--scared the heck out of me at first, but she was a really nice dog and kept us company all the way to the site (abouit a 25-minute walk) and back, where she tried to come into the hotel with us--the owners didn't appreciate that! My camera takes pretty awful pictures without the flash, but I managed to get a few good shots of the temples, which looked awesome lit up!

The next day we took the bus to the site, came in the main entrance, and who was waiting for us at the temples? The same dog as the night before. :)

Location: Paestum, Italy

~Sil

4 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous temple, Sil. When I was in Athens, from the moment I got off the plane I was pestering the driver to make sure that we got to see the Parthenon and the acropolis. He keep saying of course, but I must have asked four times from the airport to the hotel. Little did I know you can see them from almost anywhere you are in Athens.

    Also they are lit at night and it is beautiful, just as yours is. You must have had a blast in Rome. *pea green*

    ((hugs))
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my how lovely!!! I keep hoping that one day I will make it to Italy and Greece to see their beauty for myself. :D

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I hadn't been so opposed to going to college, perhaps I could have been an archiologist, I love studying the past of peoples and nations.
    Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wow! Both to the pic and the story. :D

    ReplyDelete