Thursday, February 24, 2011

55/365 The Carnival is Coming

In town today, I saw they had already put up these figures that line the route of the big parades that are taking place next weekend for the Carnival. :D

From Thursday to Tuesday next week, the whole city will be in a state of organised chaos, as people in the Rhineland dress in costume and go out to party to get a good dose of fun and give them something worth repenting of in the season of Lent, which starts on Wednesday following the Carnival. ;) :D

4 comments:

  1. Is that similar to Marti Gras?

    Sounds like a good time to me.
    Are you going?
    Would be nice to see some of the carnival.


    Calma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo a carnival!! I love carnivals and parades and all the whoopla to go along with them. Have a great time at the parade and all.

    Vana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hobby I think that Winter is a great time to have Carnival. And I hope you answer what Carnival is all about. Is it like a Marti Gras?

    Enjoy the parade if you go. :D

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calma and Jules, yes, it's Mardi Gras except that it's not so much about running around nekkid as in New Orleans or Rio de Janeiro - but, well, the climate forbids that anyway. ;)

    So, what it is about, apart from parades, is singing and drinking and kissing in the streets. :D

    I don't normally take part much, but I like it as a special tradition in my city. Also, a considerable part of the singing consists in songs in praise of Cologne, and I have to admit I like the way they make me all emotional about my city. :D

    ReplyDelete